Other Fielden Family Buildings

As people may have guessed by now, the family name "Fielden" was very common in the Todmorden area, particularly in the Walsden area.  Only a few of them were directly associated with the wealthy factory owners, so their homes reflected their economic position in society.  Harry Fielden and his wife Pauline have been tracing their roots around the Todmorden area.  They have found that a number of buildings linked to their ancestors are still prominent in the local landscape and show the diversity of the accommodation in the area.  The amazing fact is how much of it is still standing, as most of it is at least 150 years old. 





No. 12 Walsden Square in Walsden was the home of many members of the Fielden family in the 19th century.  Number 12 was opened as a beer house, first by Samuel Crossley,whose wife was  Sally Fielden.  He was a working corn miller, so it was known as “The Dusty Miller”. Sally’s cousin, Abraham Fielden and his wife Betty, took it over in 1833 and ran it for over 20 years, selling groceries and provisions as well as beer.  Abraham’s nephew took over and added the building next door, thus extending the premises.  When he left in the 1870’s, it was run by other families until it finally closed in the 1930’s.  It is now a private house.


 

 




Warland Farm has been occupied by several generations of Fieldens. 
The estate was originally purchased by the family in the 1600’s and was
eventually sold in 1845.  However it was leased to Martha Dawson, daughter of Samuel Fielden of Scout Top and farmed by her.  In the 1861 census she was living there with her daughter, who was married to John Fielden, the son of Abraham Fielden of the Dusty Miller Beer House.

 




  


Allerscholes Farm is very old, but it was first leased to John Fielden of Todmorden Hall in the 18th century, however he did not live there. 
On John’s death, his nephew Thomas took over. He was in the woollen
industry and became quite wealthy from it as well as from farming the land. He finally left Allerscholes Farm moving to North Hollingworth Farm at the other side of the valley.

 


 



North Hollingworth Farm has been farmed by the Fielden family since 1656, when Joshua Fielden married Martha Greenwood.  Their son, Thomas, ran his woollen business from the farm and became a wealthy yeoman farmer.  On his death, his nephew Thomas moved from Lower Allerscholes Farm to help his aunt Alice.  His son John and grandson Abraham lived there, until the latter left to live with his daughter, Sally at the Square in Walsden.  His nephew John took over until his death in 1878.





High above Walsden and even higher than North Hollingworth Farm, is Scout Top Farm.  The Fielden family became owners of this property in 1798.  Samuel Fielden, the son of John Fielden (the Little Quaker) and his wife, Sally, lived there for many years and brought up 14 children, all of whom reached adulthood!  After his death in 1844, the farm was run by
his daughter, Martha and her husband, Abraham Dawson.  After her husband’s death in 1856 she moved to Warland Farm.


 

We are sure the names of these people and their buildings will have appeared in the family trees of many of the members and its is pleasing to put a picture to some of the addresses.








Community Web Kit provided free by BT